Thursday, July 21, 2011

Sitting in the "Moses Seat"




Matthew 23:1-4 (NIV):  Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples:  "The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat, so you must be careful to do everything they tell you.  But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach.  They tie up heavy, cumbersome loads and put them on other people's shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them."

In the days of Jesus, there was a seat in the synagogue called the "Moses Seat" that is linked to this passage.  It is where the appointed people got to sit, read from the Torah, and give their interpretation of the shared scriptures.  As stated, they were often hypocrites, but aren't we all?  I am not a person in any authority to tell others what to do or how to live, and I am most definitely a hypocrite who does not always hold true to my own words.  I would still like a chance to share my beliefs on how we (both you and I) ought to live based on scripture.  From time to time, I will share some posts to have my turn in the "Moses Seat."

2 comments:

  1. Steph,
    You've already taught me so much about life! I can't wait for you to write more!!! I love the idea of you having your turn in the "Moses Seat."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Mom. : ) XOXO

    ReplyDelete